Login to download the latest version of Mint and your favorite Pepper, purchase additional licenses, or post in the Forum. Don't have an account? Create one!

In Partnership with Media Temple

Mint Forum

Uninstalling Birdfeeder - Now my RSS feed is not working...

Hi. I hope you can help.

I uninstalled BirdFeeder and cannot get my normal RSS to work anymore.

The site: socialmediaexaminer.com

Help!

Mike

Also, I should state that I am running WordPress 2.8.6. And I have installed BirdFeeder for WordPress.

After I deleted the WordPress Plugin, feeder folder AND all the Pepper related files, it seems that my blog still wants to publish rss feeds at socialmediaexaminer.com/feeder/

And when I type in socialmediaexaminer.com/feed/ I get a database error.

I have temp. reinstalled everything to regain the functionality of the feed but really could use some assistance.

Thanks!

Mike

MacManX
Minted
Posted on Jul 26, '10 at 08:49 pm

Unfortunately, it’s hard to tell without actually seeing the affected feed. Everything looks fine now, but I don’t know if that’s because of the re-install.

Did you deactivate the plugin before deleting it?

Shaun Inman
Mint/Pepper Developer
Posted on Aug 02, '10 at 10:33 am

It sounds like you forgot to remove the Bird Feeder specific code from all of your feed templates.

SO here is my problem. I have no deactivated the pepper plugin and wordpress plugin. But kept the /feeder/ folder.

Then I went to Google reader (using a new account) and added socialmediaexaminer.com to my list. However it is still pointing to socialmediaexaminer.com/feeder/ rather than feed/

So Shaun, how do I remove Bird Feeder specific code from my feed templates? Never recall adding them. HELP

Just to clarify,

When I add a new feed to a feed reader, it displays the feed but when I click on the feed title, it forwards to socialmediaexaminer.com/feeder/

So Shaun, where do I fine the feed templates? I do not recall adding bird feeder specific code to my code

MacManX
Minted
Posted on Aug 12, '10 at 06:27 pm

I just checked your feed. It’s working properly and perfectly valid.

I also added it to Google Reader and didn’t notice the problem that you’re describing.

Birdfeeder appears to have been correctly uninstalled in the sense that there’s no trace of it in your feed. However, the feeder directory still exists at socialmediaexaminer.com/feeder/ . You should probably remove that.

Do you know if there is an easy way to setup a server redirect? I send out emails to 32,000 people daily as new posts go live and all the old ones (including today’s) have a link to the /feeder/

These folks are now not able to get to articles….

Mike

MacManX
Minted
Posted on Aug 13, '10 at 12:22 am

Try adding this to your .htaccess file:

Redirect permanent /feeder/ http://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/

I just tried that and all it does is redirect socialmediaexaminer.com/feeder/

However a link this does not forward: http://socialmediaexaminer.com/feeder/? … siness%2F&

You must be logged in to reply. Login above or create an account