Login to download the latest version of Mint and your favorite Pepper, purchase additional licenses, or post in the Forum. Don't have an account? Create one!

In Partnership with Media Temple

Mint Forum

Visits dropped all historical data

Lee
Minted
Posted on Jul 10, '10 at 03:45 pm

Mint lost all historical data for visits as of the morning of July 9 — it all just vanished. The table in the database appears to be intact. We did nothing to the database or the configuration, no glitches or server outages — it just dropped ALL the historical data and started from scratch. Why did this happen and how can the historical data be restored? http://westportnow.com/mint

drewm
Minted
Posted on Jul 31, '10 at 03:31 pm

I think I’m seeing the same issue. My tables are empty and nothing new is being logged.

drewm
Minted
Posted on Jul 31, '10 at 04:49 pm

So, judging from the file size drop in my nightly backups, Mint dropped all of my data at some point on the 20th or pre-3am 21st July. At this point it also stopped logging new data.

The trick to get it working again was to use the ?moved command. I’ve no idea what that actually does, but it worked.

I can’t identify anything that might have happened with the server (it’s a self-managed VPS) which might have confused Mint at that time. Another Mint install on the same box was unaffected by whatever it was.

I’ve updated Mint to 2.18 and latest pepper, although it was only mildly out of date.

I’ve restored my data from the backup on the 21st, but I’ve obviously not been logging stats for the last 10 days. In truth, it doesn’t matter for this site, but I’d like to understand the problem to prevent it happening to something important.

Shaun - what does ?moved actually do? Any ideas what would cause Mint to stop logging and drop all historical data?

Shaun Inman
Mint/Pepper Developer
Posted on Aug 02, '10 at 10:45 am

All ?moved does is refresh the installation paths Mint uses to find itself on your server (used for cookies and relative links within Mint).

I would also like to understand the problem but have never been able to successfully reproduce nor have I experienced it myself.

Which Pepper do you have installed?

drewm
Minted
Posted on Aug 02, '10 at 02:44 pm

In the problematic installation (http://stats.allinthehead.com/mint) I have the following installed:

• Backup/Restore
  • User Agent 007
  • Secret Crush
  • Local Searches
  • iPhone
  • Visits Diff

On the other installation, same server, that didn’t experience any problems, I have:

• Backup/Restore
  • Real Estate
  • User Agent 007
  • Visits Diff
  • iPhone
  • Ego Helper (Garrett Murray)
Shaun Inman
Mint/Pepper Developer
Posted on Aug 03, '10 at 09:49 am

Is your MySQL writing any error logs? Which tables do you mean with “my tables are empty?” Historical data like the Visits pane or everything like Referrers, Pages, etc? Is the data not displaying in Mint (eg. all panes are empty) or does the data not exist in your MySQL database tables?

You must be logged in to reply. Login above or create an account