Login to download the latest version of Mint and your favorite Pepper, purchase additional licenses, or post in the Forum. Don't have an account? Create one!

In Partnership with Media Temple

Mint Forum

MySpace Pepper

osiris
Minted
Posted on Sep 20, '07 at 06:26 pm

I’m running this pepper on my site hosted by Dreamhost, running PHP 5.2.2 ‘with extra web security’ but not as cgi. The hits aren’t registering. I’d be happy to tweak settings and relay the results, any suggestions?

barkerja
Third-Party Pepper Developer
Posted on Sep 20, '07 at 09:25 pm

Do me a favor and visit the register.png directly in your browser and see if it’s requesting you to download it. If so, just a problem in the .htaccess file.

osiris
Minted
Posted on Sep 20, '07 at 11:46 pm

I visited the register.png and was prompted to download. It didn’t register a hit in Mint. Do permissions matter in regard to the .png?

barkerja
Posted on Sep 21, '07 at 07:31 pm

Osiris, I know you said you’re not running PHP as a CGI but another fellow here that was on Dreamhost had the same problem and I want you to try what fixed his problem. Change your .htaccess file to this:

If you run PHP4, change it to:

AddHandler php-cgi .png

If you run PHP5 change it to:

AddHandler php5-cgi .png

Let me know if that doesn’t work, or contact me personally via gTalk (jabarker1@gmail.com) or aim jabarker5506.

osiris
Minted
Posted on Sep 21, '07 at 11:24 pm

Bingo! Hitting the png directory worked, barkerja. Hits don’t seem to register when visiting the MySpace page, though.

barkerja
Posted on Sep 22, '07 at 12:28 am

Hrmm, okay weird. You’re the first since this last release to have a non-working script. Mind contacting me personally so I can help you with this?

Probably something very simple. My contact details are two posts up.

nertzy
Minted
Posted on Sep 22, '07 at 02:41 pm

This pepper is great! I have always wanted a simple solution for this problem.

I had to resort to the RewriteRule method to get it to work, none of the AddHandler lines would work on my Slicehost VPS. I’m running the default versions of apache2 and php when you install them with Gentoo Linux.

Anyway, I was wondering if you have looked into ignoring hits that contain the Mint cookie.

The cookie that gets set looks like “MintIgnore=true”

barkerja
Posted on Sep 22, '07 at 04:49 pm

Nertzy, could possibly yes. But failing to see the plus side to this? :)

I am also on dreamhost. I did need to change the .htaccess file to ‘AddHandler php5-cgi .png’ to get it to not try and download (which worked), but it’s still not registering a hit in mint.

barkerja
Posted on Oct 20, '07 at 05:05 pm

pinheadj, when you visit the register.png directly is it registering the hit?

It does not register the hit when I visit register.png directly, but it does show up as a broken image rather than attempting to download it.

I should add though, that I was mistaken earlier on the server, I was thinking of a different client. This one is not on dreamhost and it’s a PHP4 server, so I switched to the ‘AddHandler php-cgi .png’ (although both seem to prevent downloading of the image.)

Anything else you need to know, just let me know.

Thanks!

barkerja
Posted on Oct 24, '07 at 12:53 am

Contact me directly. jabarker1 [at] gmail {dot} com I’ll be able to help you better there. Thanks.

rookie
Minted
Posted on Nov 06, '07 at 01:21 am

Has anyone figured out how to change the .htaccess for a standard dreamhost account? I tried out every suggestion from the thread to manipulate the .htaccess but without success.

In my case I can download the “png” file and hits will not be tracked. Any idea ?

Thanks Sebastian

barkerja
Posted on Nov 06, '07 at 07:34 pm

The .htaccess should only contain one line, try either one of these:

AddType application/x-httpd-php .png

AddHandler x-httpd-php .png

rookie
Minted
Posted on Nov 07, '07 at 12:52 am

Thanks John !!!

The first line was the solution for me at dreamhost.

Sebastian

unrealdefex
Mint-less
Posted on Dec 29, '07 at 08:15 pm

i know this is an old post, but decided to let everyone kno that this worked for me in my .htaccess

Hope this helps someone.

shokk
Posted on Jan 03, '08 at 09:54 pm

On my own server, running Apache 1.3.37 with php-4.4.8, with

in the .htaccess but accessing shokk.com/mint/pepper/johnbarker/myspace/register.png

which comes from the page myspace.com/eoporto

it still asks me to download the file, but only on the system that is ignoring Mint cookies. It works for other systems accessing the page.

Is there anything else I should be looking at or should I just ignore this?

barkerja
Posted on Jan 04, '08 at 12:06 am

@shokk, did you fix the problem? I just attempted to visit the .png you posted and it didn’t ask me to download.

shokk
Posted on Jan 05, '08 at 02:00 pm

It only asks for the download when I myself attempt to visit the .png so it must have to do with the cookie. But for all the other millions of potential visitors on the internet, so I’ll stop trying to be a perfectionist if it works for you. =) Thanks for checking.

barkerja
Posted on Jan 08, '08 at 01:14 am

Well we haven’t confirmed that it’s working, have we? If it’s not, I’d like to do what I can to help you.

shokk
Posted on Jan 09, '08 at 11:28 am

Will check again tonight. I just checked from a new system that has the cookie and it did not ask to download, so it may be an issue with my FF setup.

shokk
Posted on Jan 11, '08 at 09:51 pm

Seems to be working OK right now.

barkerja
Posted on Jan 13, '08 at 05:30 pm

Glad it works, let me know if any other issues.

xul
Minted
Posted on Jan 14, '08 at 07:05 pm

Just for info, I’m on PHP 5.2.5 and need to use

AddHandler php-cgi .png

You must be logged in to reply. Login above or create an account