Login to download the latest version of Mint and your favorite Pepper, purchase additional licenses, or post in the Forum. Don't have an account? Create one!

In Partnership with Media Temple

Mint Forum

MySpace Pepper

barkerja
Third-Party Pepper Developer
Posted on Aug 04, '07 at 05:40 pm

This may interest some of you, and others may lift their nose and turn away!

I know this is a bit off-topic from “your site” tracking but this can easily be tied into Mint. I’ve just started development on the pepper, and to get a feel of what it will be like check out the demo tracker I have developed: http://dev.inspiredmind.net/view.php

That’s neat. Are you getting the info from a tiny transparent GIF or something? I would be interested in getting the source code from you, if you’re willing to share it.

Interesting. The only actual Myspace tracker that works. But — one problem. Myspace doesn’t permit tracking per their TOU.

barkerja
Posted on Aug 09, '07 at 02:19 pm

It’s a transparent .png with a .htaccess that changes the mime-type to php.

@ barkerja: interesting approach. how complicated is the source code? would you mind sharing it?

Matthew
Minted
Posted on Aug 19, '07 at 12:48 pm

Cool. I figured everyone was already doing this. I have a transparent gif on my myspace page that tracks hits, etc… I hadn’t thought of tying this to Mint though.

is there a place to download this yet

barkerja
Posted on Aug 21, '07 at 11:34 am

I’ll have a link posted here tomorrow to download. Thanks for your interest.

barkerja
Posted on Aug 21, '07 at 06:13 pm

By the way, any requests?

Have to see it first for some requests. :D Can you send me the code and I will try to dev a module for facebook too.

Or IM me robbiet480 on aim

Matthew
Minted
Posted on Aug 21, '07 at 07:29 pm

sounds cool. this is my official request.

barkerja
Posted on Aug 24, '07 at 05:26 pm

Okay, it’s here. http://stats.inspiredmind.net/pepper/ti … pepper.zip

Please, feedback! Let me know what you like, don’t like and what you would like to see. Any suggestions for other peppers are appreciated as well!

Enjoy.

barkerja
Posted on Aug 24, '07 at 05:44 pm
Sam Brown
Posted on Aug 25, '07 at 03:36 am

Unzipping the Archive does not work for me on OSX.

Till
Posted on Aug 25, '07 at 01:44 pm

yeah, the zip file contains 4 errors.
If I were you… I’d use some rewrite rules : )

barkerja
Posted on Aug 25, '07 at 01:58 pm

Okay, updated the .zip. Should be fully compatible now. Any other problems, let me know.

Till Kruss: I’m assuming you’re talking about the .htaccess?

barkerja
Posted on Aug 25, '07 at 02:38 pm

Are you talking about something like:

RewriteEngine On RewriteRule ^register.png$ register.php

Till
Posted on Aug 25, '07 at 02:57 pm

No, I would set up a rewrite rule to redirect your downloads, because the posted link above look ugly. Never mind!

I admit I’m a little confused. I see no reference to including the db.inc file or the geo.inc file in the script — and it’s basically not doing anything.

Is this not all tied-in yet?

barkerja
Posted on Aug 27, '07 at 02:53 am

@remote sensing tools: basically all you need to do is upload the johnbarker folder to your pepper folder, setup the db with the included db_scheme.SQL and add the img tag your myspace profile.

That’s what I did, but nothing’s logging.

Not to mention, by leaving the db.inc file wide-open in that folder — anyone can easily view your database login.

Just sayin’. You might wish to either include a call to the main Mint db.php file for security, or go with another method for linking to the database.

Or — include an .htaccess file that secures that file from being viewed from the outside.

Matthew
Minted
Posted on Aug 29, '07 at 06:20 pm

@barkerja, didn’t work for me either. I think one of the issues is that your code assumes that mint tables are installed without a prefix. However, by default Mint prefixes its tables with “mint_”. Also, the register.png is not an image, it’s a php file. Seems like myspace would have something in place to block this sort of thing.

You must be logged in to reply. Login above or create an account