Login to download the latest version of Mint and your favorite Pepper, purchase additional licenses, or post in the Forum. Don't have an account? Create one!

In Partnership with Media Temple

Mint Forum

Crawlers Pepper

mls
Minted
Posted on Apr 03, '07 at 04:10 pm

I’ve posted another beta version which includes the WordPress fix.

You can simply place the tracker code at the top of your index.php file within your WP install. I installed WordPress and this placement worked fine for me. If you encounter any other problems please let me know.

You can grab a copy here.

Brooks
Minted
Posted on Apr 04, '07 at 01:12 am

It seems to be working on my Wordpress-based site: one of the Yahoo crawlers swung by to check the place out about an hour ago.

Thanks, so much, mls!

SDJL
Minted
Posted on Apr 04, '07 at 07:01 am

I’m still seeing lots of errors in my error log from this pepper. This is what I’m getting.

[Wed Apr 4 11:56:25 2007] [error] PHP Fatal error: Call to a member function logErrorNote() on a non-object in /home/***/public_html/mint/app/lib/pepper.php on line 56

I’m trying out an absolute URL to the tracker.php to see if this helps. I noticed that on other sites, sometimes the require_once code would fail to find tracker.php because of the directory depth.

Edit The absolute URL still didn’t work. It’s still churning up errors and not logging anything.

mls, did you try adjusting WordPress’s permalink settings to date and name based when you tested it? I’m wondering if that has something to do with my errors.

David

mls
Minted
Posted on Apr 05, '07 at 12:52 pm

I have adjusted the permalink setting and do not have any problems.

Where are you placing the tracker code?

SDJL
Minted
Posted on Apr 05, '07 at 04:37 pm

I’m placing it inside header.php which is located under wp-contents/themes/k2 Do I need to add it somewhere else?

David

mls
Minted
Posted on Apr 05, '07 at 11:52 pm

Yeah, that’s probably why you’re getting the error.

Try placing it at the top of the index.php file located in the root WP directory.

SDJL
Minted
Posted on Apr 06, '07 at 06:12 am

I hadn’t even thought of that! I assumed that if I placed it inside my themes header file, it would track any URL requested.

Thanks for your continued support to an idiot like me :D

<?php require_once("./mint/pepper/mlslatest/crawlers/tracker.php");
define('WP_USE_THEMES', true);
require('./wp-blog-header.php');
?>

Just an example how my code insertion looks like for Wordpress users. Can anyone confirm with me that this is the correct way?

mls
Minted
Posted on Apr 06, '07 at 11:10 am

@hinching

That’s where I placed it when I tested it on a fresh WP install and everything worked fine.

SDJL
Minted
Posted on Apr 06, '07 at 04:40 pm

I can confirm it works now. Maybe my original error was spurious? You may wish to clarify under the documenation that WordPress users should insert the code in the index.php file :)

David

shokk
Third-Party Pepper Developer
Posted on Apr 13, '07 at 10:13 am

Works for me now. I too was placing it in the header.php so that might have been my issue all along.

shorty
Minted
Posted on Apr 13, '07 at 05:30 pm

Does anyone here use Textpattern? I don’t know where to place the php code. I’m getting an error if i place it in the header or footer because raw php tags are disabled. If i change these settings in Textpattern it also doesn’t work. Would be great if anyone could help and sorry for my english. ;)

mdh
Minted
Posted on Apr 13, '07 at 10:47 pm

@shorty

If you’re including php in your textpattern templates you need to use textpattern’s php syntax. Rather than <?php to open a code block you need to use <txp:php> and close the block with </txp:php>.

shorty
Minted
Posted on Apr 14, '07 at 05:06 am

Thanks! I’m new to textpattern and just copied the code without thinking… ;) Hope it works now.

shorty
Minted
Posted on Apr 15, '07 at 05:20 pm

Okay, there are no error messages anymore. But the pepper doesn’t work. So i think i made a mistake placing the code. Where did other textpattern users place it? In the header or footer? Or in the index.php, like Wordpress users do?

mls

I’m interested in testing out the pepper if you are still looking for people.

shorty
Minted
Posted on Apr 23, '07 at 05:27 pm

Sorry, me again. I still don’t know where to place the code. If I place the code in my footer or header nothing happens. Placing the code in my index.php causes an error… I’m using textpattern. Would be great if anyone could tell me, where to place the code.

Anyone that manage to get this to work when it is used in the header.php in a WP theme?

SDJL
Minted
Posted on Aug 26, '07 at 09:35 pm

Yeah. Don’t put the code inside the header.php template file. The code needs to go in the root index.php file for WordPress.

If your WordPress installation is as so: site.com/wordpress you will need to edit site.com/wordpress/index.php

David

Vasilis
Minted
Posted on Nov 16, '07 at 12:25 pm

Does anyone know where I can get this pepper? The download on the developers site returns a 404.

i search the pepper too.

Shimon
Third-Party Pepper Developer
Posted on Dec 20, '07 at 03:54 am

Thank you very much for this great pepper!

Hey folks. Will this work with Movable Type too? Let me know.

For all the people who use s9y:

Just put the code into your serendipity_config_local.inc.php.

You must be logged in to reply. Login above or create an account