Login to download the latest version of Mint and your favorite Pepper, purchase additional licenses, or post in the Forum. Don't have an account? Create one!

In Partnership with Media Temple

Mint Forum

Downloads Pepper - making the links less hideous?

Hi there. I’m currently trying out the downloads pepper by Till Kruss and was curious to know if there was a way of making the links much shorter than they currently are. At the moment they are producing urls along the lines of:

website.com/mint/pepper/tillkruess/down … m/file.pdf

Is there a way of making it more along the lines of:

website.com/dload.php?file=file.pdf

I managed to make a little progress, though I’m not a php expert so would appreciate any help. I managed to strip out the mint/pepper/tilkruess/downloads/ from the link and renamed the tracker.php part of the url to my favoured dload.php. So currently the url looks like: website.com/dload.php?url=http://www.we … m/file.pdf

What I did was make a copy of the tracker.php from the downloads dir, moved it to my base website dir and rename it to dload.php. Open it up and in the top require dir name link add in “/mint/pepper/tillkruess/downloads” at the front of the link. Then open up script.js from the downloads dir and change the Mint_TK_script url to the full website address directed at the dload.php (e.g. var Mint_TK_script = ‘http://www.website.com/dload.php?url=’;).

That’s it! I did a quick test and it seems to be working fine. I had a play around in the scripts.js but couldn’t figure out how to change the url= part of the link so it just reads downloads/file.pdf instead of a full link. I’d also like to hide the “downloads” bit from the url to shorten it further but I’ve no idea how to do that.

Any help appreciated guys!

Shaun Inman
Mint/Pepper Developer
Posted on Jul 14, '09 at 11:07 am

You don’t appear to be licensed to use Mint so you shouldn’t expect a response.

I’m testing it all out first. There’s no way I’m paying $30 for something that I don’t know if it works alright. If I can’t even get Mint to handle download tracking without it vandalising my site then I might as well just use Google Analytics, which is free. The downloads counter is the most important pepper so if this works then expect some licenses off me otherwise you’ve just lost a customer. All this topic is doing is figuring out how to make a key pepper more versatile which considering the lack of feedback peppers get and lack of posts here should be encouraged.

Shaun Inman
Mint/Pepper Developer
Posted on Jul 14, '09 at 11:57 am

Losing a customer that refuses to respect the way I chose to do business is not something I’m going to lose much sleep over. Enjoy Analytics.

You must be logged in to reply. Login above or create an account