Login to download the latest version of Mint and your favorite Pepper, purchase additional licenses, or post in the Forum. Don't have an account? Create one!

In Partnership with Media Temple

Mint Forum

Bird Feeder Pepper Include '/feeder/index.php' fails

I’m trying to write a plugin for WordPress 2.7.1 to add Bird Feeder support. In my PHP code, PHP dies at the “include” line:

define('BIRDFEED', 'Posts (RSS2)');
include($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'/feeder/index.php');

After some investigation, I’ve discovered that PHP is actually dying at line 323 of /mint/app/lib/mint.php, where it says:

$this->pepper[$pepperId] = new $pepper['class']($pepperId);

I also have the User Agent 007 and Local Searches Peppers installed. Any idea as to what might be causing this? Is this a bug in Bird Feeder v2.05?

I’ve worked out what was causing the problems…. it was all issues with namespaces, and using include() within a function - variables defined within that function wouldn’t become global. I’ve fixed it all up now, and my plugin appears to be working (I will make it publicly available soon). My RSS2 feed has the following style of URLs in the tags:

http://mydomain.com/feeder/?FeederAction=clicked&feed=Posts+%28RSS2%29&seed=http%3A%2F%2Fmydomain.com%2F2009%2F03%2Fhello-world%2F&seed_title=Hello+world%21

Feeds are showing up in the Bird Feeder pepper, but even after updating my RSS reader and clicking through to my posts, nothing is showing up in Seeds.

Is there something wrong with the URL above? Has it been borked in the templating process? Shouldn’t the Seeds pane be getting data every time I (or someone else) clicks through to an article from my RSS feed?

Anyone have any ideas? My RSS feeds seem to be getting valid “Bird Feeder” re-direct URLs, but nothing is showing up in my Seeds. Is there any other config or settings I should look at?

Seeds are supposed to track direct hits to your page via your RSS feeds, right?

Well that’s weird. After launching the site, I now have a hit in my Seeds Pane - no matter what I do on my own computer, nothing will show up there, even though I don’t have Mint set to ignore my own computer’s stats.

Does Bird Feeder somehow ignore “your” computer for Seeds using cookies or something?

Shaun Inman
Mint/Pepper Developer
Posted on Mar 23, '09 at 09:42 am

If Mint is set to ignore your visits (check your Preferences) all Pepper (including Bird Feeder) will honor that preference.

As I said, I had “Ignore my visits” turned off, so I would’ve thought that clicking through in NetNewsWire would add hits to my Seeds. Anyway, I am getting hits from other people, but when I check it myself I get nothing. Strange.

Whatever’s going on, I don’t think it’s anything to do with my plugin, which I’ll make freely available soon on http://forgecode.net/.

Shaun Inman
Mint/Pepper Developer
Posted on Mar 30, '09 at 02:21 pm

Do you use /mint/config/auto.php? Are you ignoring yourself by IP within that file? (If you have no idea what I’m talking about then you’re probably not.)

No, I haven’t really poked around in /mint/config/ so no. How do I ignore myself by IP in auto.php? Do you have to add your own conditional statements to decide whether Mint should be used or not?

Shaun Inman
Mint/Pepper Developer
Posted on Apr 01, '09 at 10:49 am

You actually don’t anymore, you would use the /mint/?preferences&advanced to ignore from Mint’s advanced Preferences now. I just wanted to make sure that you didn’t have the old auto.php IP blocking method still running.

lance_
Minted
Posted on Jun 18, '09 at 02:06 am

Hi guys,

Any progress on the plugin? WordPress 2.8 seems to have broken the old birdfeeder plugin.

Thanks, lance_

You must be logged in to reply. Login above or create an account