Login to download the latest version of Mint and your favorite Pepper, purchase additional licenses, or post in the Forum. Don't have an account? Create one!

In Partnership with Media Temple

Mint Forum

Popular webware cookies for the Crushes pepper

There’s a line in the Secret Crushes pepper:

preg_match("/(mtcmtauth|txp_name|comment_author_|comment_name|sFullName|RememberAuthorName|username|login|author|enterwiki_(.*)_UserName)/i", $cookie)

I just thought it’d be nice if we could let shaun know what cookies our favorite webware used, so he could add them to the default if he so wished.

My contribution is MediaWiki (as of right now, speaking of version 1.9alpha from SVN) - the section to add to the regex would be:

_UserName

Shaun Inman
Mint/Pepper Developer
Posted on Feb 01, '07 at 04:33 pm

I like the gesture but don’t worry about it. In the next version you will be able to specify cookies unique to your site in the Preferences.

PS. Putting your code in backticks will mark it up with <code> tags.

Shaun, Not wanting to seem fighty or anything but I’m wondering if you approached the pepper developers who made peppers similar to the ones your now putting out for V2 before you went and overrode all their hard work. I know this is your baby and all but it does seem kinda off that crushes and birdfeed do the job that 3rd party peppers were doing in v1.

I know uFX is still working on nametags but it seems like you are now heading down exactly the same lines with being able to specify cookie names in crushes (which imho is a huge miss in this version). Am I being naive in thinking maybe it’d be better to get together with these developers and work together to a common pepper that kicks ass rather than two slightly different ones?

Shaun Inman
Mint/Pepper Developer
Posted on Feb 01, '07 at 05:50 pm

David, your comments are increasingly sour grapes. Please see my response in the other thread where you made a similar comment.

David, Shaun’s peppers do “kick ass.” From what I can tell Shaun has been nothing but respectful to other Pepper developers and their code. I commend Shaun for his professionalism and his innovations.

For what it’s worth, I believe I fall into the category of Pepper developer whose pepper’s features are now being provided by one of Shaun’s official peppers.

My comments weren’t meant as a personal attack on Shaun or his work. Just some thoughts from a non developer user of mint and 3rd party peppers.

If the 3rd party developers are happy, then I guess i should be too.

I’ve replied to shaun in another thread so won’t say too much here.

You must be logged in to reply. Login above or create an account