Login to download the latest version of Mint and your favorite Pepper, purchase additional licenses, or post in the Forum. Don't have an account? Create one!

In Partnership with Media Temple

Mint Forum

Firefox stats too detailed

NetHawk
Minted
Posted on Feb 11, '09 at 06:52 am

The list of reported versions on one of my sites is 45 lines long! This is because the user agent pepper differentiates every minor version change of Firefox:

2.0.0.1, 2.0.0.2 … 2.0.0.99

Most people don’t need that many details. And since the entries are spread to so many versions, most of them count as “under 1%”. It’s hard to figure out how many Firefox version 1, 2 and 3 are in use and I guess this is the most important information regarding version numbers.

Or do others care about the exact version number?

Sam Brown
Third-Party Pepper Developer
Posted on Feb 15, '09 at 06:33 am

I suppose these stats could be grouped, which would be nice.

I have 11 different versions of Firefox 2 and 7 versions of Firefox 3.

Safari’s version numbers are equally confusing.

NetHawk
Minted
Posted on Feb 26, '09 at 10:19 am

Well, regarding Safari, Shaun has made a point in an older post. Safari’s user agent string does not contain the browser version, but only the Webkit version. A while ago there was a xml file published on Apple’s developer pages that showed what Webkit version would refer to what Safari version. But unfortunately that file is no longer online.

Web devolopers simply want to know the numbers for the main versions. It’s very hard to check now if my site should be tested with let’s say Safari 2 or if no one is using it anymore…

xul
Minted
Posted on Mar 10, '09 at 04:36 pm

But the Browsers tab in the User Agents pane shows the total for each browser. Only when you click it you see the breakdown minor version numbers. That’s perfect…

You must be logged in to reply. Login above or create an account