Login to download the latest version of Mint and your favorite Pepper, purchase additional licenses, or post in the Forum. Don't have an account? Create one!

In Partnership with Media Temple

Mint Forum

Multiple Logins - again...

NetHawk
Minted
Posted on Sep 10, '08 at 08:09 am

I know, this has been asked many times before (I’ve done my forum search). But I was wondering, if the guys who have asked for this and myself are the only ones that would be interested in this feature. Are there others?

The use case is simple: you have Mint installed on the website of your customer, who wants the statistics password protected. That’s no problem, Mint can do that of course. But the customer (think of a bunch of non technical persons in a corporation), has also access to the preferences then - not allways such a good idea.

So a login for a read-only access would be great. That way Mint would have 3 modes:

• an open mode
  • a read only mode, password protected
  • an admin mode

Only the second mode is new and I think it would be a great feature for many of us. If I’m right, please make yourself heard, so that Shaun knows that we exist and reconsider this.

No need to mention that Mint - with of without this feature - is a great piece of software. Ooops, I mentioned it anyway - again…

truceco
Minted
Posted on Sep 23, '08 at 09:05 am

Hmm i would also like multiple logins, but not to sure about the 3 different modes, but then again , could be an optional thing.

I just installed Mint and second this request. It was one of the first things I looked for.

I was, in fact, just wondering about this. It would be quite handy for my site too.

xemino
Minted
Posted on Feb 04, '09 at 02:49 pm

second that.

Mattro
Minted
Posted on Feb 05, '09 at 10:00 am

Agreed, it would be a nice feature…

As a work around NetHawk, could you htpasswd protect the mint directory so your client can still login to check, while you still hold the key to the settings?

Sam Brown
Third-Party Pepper Developer
Posted on Feb 06, '09 at 04:20 am

@Disko: Unfortunately not, as the Mint javascript include would pop up a user/pass dialog box on the pages of your site as that is behind this security.

Austin H
Mint-less
Posted on Apr 15, '09 at 03:07 pm

It’s not hard at all to implement multiple logins. That said, you can only have one level of access which is admin. So if they have a login, they have admin too. It is a good, quick solution though if you’re looking to tie Mint to an existing user db.

Have a look at my solution for multiple users.

I too would find this seriously useful as a feature. It was the first thing I looked for too and to be honest I was a little disappointed when I didn’t find it. Shaun, you seem to read these posts quite often, is this something you plan to implement?

Xuff
Minted
Posted on Jul 16, '09 at 02:37 am

Just bought Mint and I, too, looked for this first thing. Would be very helpful even to just add another, separate admin account, but the read-only account option would be fantastic too.

Otherwise I’m very happy so far, thanks Shawn!

Any comments on this Shaun? I think it would be a great addition to mint

Rani
Minted
Posted on Aug 19, '09 at 12:30 am

I’m using “Allow anyone to view Mint” and htpasswd / htaccess files on my server. Anyone can enter - only me can login to prefs.

J-P Teti
Third-Party Pepper Developer
Posted on Aug 19, '09 at 10:43 am

Rani, wouldn’t that prevent Mint from recording hits as Sam said? Look up

There are two paths that I know used during Mint recording operations,

1. Serve JS
  2. record ( which is the GET containing all the data to be recorded ).

If you exclude those in your mint entry point, and require .htaccess htpasswd file to authenticate for everything else, then you can have as many logins as you like :)

Note: Some plugins like Visitor Durations use click.php to record data, so you might have exclude those too.

You must be logged in to reply. Login above or create an account