Login to download the latest version of Mint and your favorite Pepper, purchase additional licenses, or post in the Forum. Don't have an account? Create one!

In Partnership with Media Temple

Mint Forum

Auto-Update?

It’d rock if you could just auto-update mint, similar to WordPress plug-ins. Seems like every time I tap F12 my mint widget (midget) is telling me it’s time for an update.

Food for thought…

Sam Brown
Third-Party Pepper Developer
Posted on Sep 10, '08 at 05:31 am

From memory Shaun and Till were looking into this a while back, I am unsure how far they got though.

The problem I think is the multitude of server configurations out there, there really isn’t going to be an easy 1 stop solution for this.

However, I would love it too! With over 10 Mint installs it is very tiresome when several Pepper get updated.

Till
Posted on Sep 10, '08 at 12:27 pm

The “problem” is that Shaun rejected the Peppermill integration for this Pepper for security reasons.

Shaun Inman
Mint/Pepper Developer
Posted on Sep 10, '08 at 01:38 pm

Gimme a break Till, I thought we were past all this passive aggressive crap.

My exact reply to your original implementation:

I’m sorry but after much consideration I’ve decided that I will not be adding support for Sergeant Pepper to the Peppermill. Too small a percentage of Mint user’s would actually be able to take advantage of Sergeant Pepper and given that, the backdoor the implementation would offer to pirates is unacceptable.

and follow-up:

The vast majority of Mint’s customers are on shared hosts which disable the system() call or don’t allow PHP FTP access. As I said, very few would be able to use the Pepper, the potential risks don’t outweigh the gains.

Not to mention the amount of additional Forum posts and emails I would receive from user’s wanting to use your third-party Pepper despite their server’s not being able to. While not obligated to respond to each one (because they involve a third-party Pepper) I couldn’t just ignore them.

Till
Posted on Sep 10, '08 at 02:24 pm

I’m so sorry Shaun, I really don’t mean it that way! To be honest, I did not understand this backdoor thing, but I thought you must be right. Its absolutely okay to reject the Peppermill integration for security reasons.

You must be logged in to reply. Login above or create an account