Login to download the latest version of Mint and your favorite Pepper, purchase additional licenses, or post in the Forum. Don't have an account? Create one!

In Partnership with Media Temple

Mint Forum

haveamint Google search result

Jeff N
Minted
Posted on Jul 16, '08 at 09:28 am

When I search for “haveamint” in Google, there are sub-results for the domain that includes:

Demo, Feature Highlights, Peppermill, Forum // Mint, Screencasts & Screenshots, Requirements, FAQs, Don’t have an account, as well as a link for “more results from haveamint.com”.

Does anyone know how Shaun did this? I made a Google sitemap, but it doesn’t seem to create this sub-result.

Thanks ahead of time for any help you can give me on this.

Shaun Inman
Mint/Pepper Developer
Posted on Jul 16, '08 at 10:29 am

I haven’t done anything to prompt this behavior. I wonder if Google simply looks for links inside HTML elements that have an id or class that contain the word nav (or similar).

Looking at a search for “Shaun Inman”, that doesn’t seem to be the case as plenty of older but still popular articles are listed as well. They could also be pulling from their own indexes of the most-linked-to pages on a site.

Jeff N
Minted
Posted on Jul 16, '08 at 11:13 am

Thanks for the tip, Shaun. With some further digging after learning that you didn’t actively do anything to create the sub-results, I found this google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answe … topic=8523 article at Google about the process. It appears to be automated, so I think one has to create a really good site with lots of linkjuice to get such a listing.

You must be logged in to reply. Login above or create an account