Login to download the latest version of Mint and your favorite Pepper, purchase additional licenses, or post in the Forum. Don't have an account? Create one!

In Partnership with Media Temple

Mint Forum

more than 1.000.000 page views per month and no problem with Mint

witek
Minted
Posted on Apr 25, '08 at 02:22 pm

Two weeks ago I installed Mint on my site which gets more than 1.000.000 page views per month - teleman.pl. I was looking for stats software which will give me SQL access to raw hit records because I want to make advanced reporting dedicated to my needs.

I was afraid how Mint will work with this traffic level. I was especially worried when saw that PHP serialized data is read from db, updated and write again with every single hit (mint__config). I set mysql table type to InnoDB because I don’t trust MyISAM. I have also created trigger which is fired when record is deleted from mint_visit and it creates copy of this deleted record in other table - mint_visit_arch, so I will store the full history of visits in this table. Max size of mint_visit table is set to 255MB (in Mint settings).

For my reporting needs I also created small Pepper which stamp all visitors with unique cookie and store this cookie data in mint_visist so I can track visitor’s clicktreams and identify returning visits (it’s similiar to Secret Crush Pepper but without any visible pane).

Anyway everything works great till now and I am very happy with Mint stats and SQL access to raw records.

Shaun Inman
Mint/Pepper Developer
Posted on Apr 25, '08 at 02:57 pm

I strongly recommend against setting your max db size to 255MB. Mint simply isn’t designed for processing that amount of information in real-time. It can record hits as fast as you can serve them but even at 100 MB you’re just asking for long load times and grueling queries when viewing your stats.

You must be logged in to reply. Login above or create an account