Login to download the latest version of Mint and your favorite Pepper, purchase additional licenses, or post in the Forum. Don't have an account? Create one!

In Partnership with Media Temple

Mint Forum

Mint v2 Theme looking like Mint v1? :)

arno
Minted
Posted on Jan 31, '07 at 05:45 am

I hope anybody creates a Mint v2 theme that brings back the Mint v1 layout. The new one is really awful, isn’t it?

Sam Brown
Third-Party Pepper Developer
Posted on Jan 31, '07 at 05:53 am

You’ve seen what Mike Davidson changed right? mikeindustries.com/blog/archive/2007/01/oh-minty-day

Personally, I like v2 better.

I hope anybody creates a Mint v2 theme that brings back the Mint v1 layout. The new one is really awful, isnít it?

Whoa… that’s a little harsh isn’t it? Actually I think Shaun’s done an excellent job on the redesign of every aspect of Mint. The program itself, the Mint website and these forums I find are all really nice to look at. Having said that, there were certain elements of the previous Mint design that I liked, and why I’ve added the CSS that Mike Davidson wrote about to my Vanilla Mint theme to retain some of those elements.

I guess it’s all a matter of personal preference, but I would definitely not put the redesign anywhere near the “awful” category.

Using the word “aweful” is a bit sensationalist. If anything it’s certainly a relative opinion.

I personally love it.

Am I being stupid? or blind? I can’t see any difference between the screen shot on mikes site and what my default mint 2 looks like.

Sam Brown
Third-Party Pepper Developer
Posted on Jan 31, '07 at 12:21 pm

Blind perhaps David, but not stupid. I didn’t notice at first either until I had made the change. See:

Before: http://massiveblue.net/pepperminttea/misc/before.png

After: http://massiveblue.net/pepperminttea/misc/after.png

The design isn’t too bad (at least once the green stripes have been reinstated), but certain things just seem a little off, or sloppy. For example the spacing between the active tab and the inactive tabs surrounding it is a little small and makes them seem a bit cluttered, stuff like that. It all adds up though.

I must say though, the green stripes screenshot looks so much better that I have to wonder whether or not Shaun stuck them into PhotoShop while designing his new mock-up just to see how they look. It seems so bare without them, and they were one of the most striking elements of the original design (every site has crappy grey stripes, but not those Minty ones)! :)

haze
Minted
Posted on Jan 31, '07 at 02:57 pm

I’d love to see a theme resembling the preferences page. Love the colors and contrast!

Cheers Sam. Very subtle. I do like the green stripes in the After…

Goes off to implement.

arno
Minted
Posted on Jan 31, '07 at 05:02 pm

I’m sorry for goofing down the new Mint layout this morning. I think it just looks so awful because something is wrong with my installation. Sorry, Shaun. The screenshot is not that awful. ;)

Another point is that many peppers look a bit disordered after updating Mint. But that’s a problem for the Pepper developers to solve. :)

You must be logged in to reply. Login above or create an account